Senior Software Engineer - Web
Novela is reimagining and reinventing the wedding planning process for the modern couple. We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer - Web to help us architect, develop, and maintain our entire web technology platform.
About the role
- Novela is the first transactional marketplace for weddings. Novela connects couples with wedding vendors and provides payments and financing via BNPL (Buy Now Pay Later) for weddings on one simple platform.
- This is a unique opportunity to join a company at the ground floor that is shaping the future of planning and paying for weddings for both wedding vendors and couples.
- As a Senior Software Engineer - Web, you will work on architecting, developing, and maintaining our entire platform with a focus on building the content management system for what will become the most modern, beautiful and premier source of wedding related content in America. You will be integrating with various third party platforms for wedding management such as vendors booking software, calendars, photo sources and more.
- You will also build unit-tests, functional tests and CI / CD pipelines for all the functionality.
- As our team grows, you will be the go-to technical resource for our fintech platform and a mentor for new developers. You will collaborate directly with the CTO and CEO to bring new features and functionality to market and drive the growth of our platform.
- You will be part of a small multi-functional team and will wear many hats as you help build our platform.
As a Senior Software Engineer - Web, we would like you to…
- Have 8+ experience writing software, and a strong engineering background
- Have experience building complex web applications, with experience building content management systems a plus
- Have knowledge of SEO, site speed optimization, scalability and availability
- Have knowledge of modern frameworks such as React / Vue, modern design frameworks such as MUI / Tailwind, and the desire to stay current with the times
- Have knowledge of CI / CD, preferably using Github Actions and GCP
- Have knowledge of automated testing tools such as Cypress or Playwright
- Have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent experience, ideally from a top program
- Have demonstrated ability to mentor junior and senior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering skill-sets
- Have knowledge of low code / no code platforms such as Webflow and Airtable (preferred but not required)
- Have knowledge of or deep interest in machine learning for image recognition and analysis (preferred but not required)
- Have knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, continuous deployments, testing, and operations
- Have experience working in an agile development team and familiarity with agile concepts
That said, these responsibilities are just the start! At Novela, we encourage you to contribute wherever your interests take you — and shape your role accordingly.
You’ll thrive as a Senior Software Engineer - Web if you:
- Are highly organized and have strong time management skills
- Enjoy both deep work and interacting with colleagues
- Are able to be results-oriented and keep up with an active to-do list and a fast-paced work environment
- Have a growth mindset, a willingness to own problems, comfort with ambiguity, and a healthy balance of humility and confidence
- Thrive working in a startup environment with a distributed workforce all over the world
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements.
Novela is on a mission to reimagine and reinvent the wedding planning process for the modern couple. We're committed to creating a work environment that focuses on:
- Flexibility & Autonomy - We'll give you maximum flexibility over your schedule and lots of autonomy over how you do your work.
- Service & Mastery - We're committed to servant leadership, and providing you with the opportunity to develop mastery in your chosen discipline.
- Growth & Purpose - We want you to have a real sense of purpose and myriad opportunities for growth as we reimagine and reinvent the $96 billion wedding industry.
Our commitments to you
- We’ll pay you! This is a full-time salaried position that is eligible to earn equity.
- We’ll invest in your physical and mental well-being with health, dental, and vision benefits (for full-time employees) and a monthly stipend for health and wellness expenses.
- We provide remote employees with the equipment and resources they need to create a great remote work environment.
- We will offer you the support and training you need to help you grow as an impactful Senior Software Engineer - Web and as a human being.
Ready to apply?
If you share our values and enthusiasm for creating positive change in the world, we’d love to review your application. We promise we do take the time and care to review every application we receive. However, as much as we wish we could interview everyone who submits an application, we cannot guarantee an interview or feedback due to the unprecedented volume of applications we are receiving every day. We are rooting for you, and hope you do consider applying.
Note: You'll need valid U.S. work authorization to join us.